12.31.2013

Are You Ready to Get Your Purple On?




Again, Pantone picked a color of the year without calling me. Geez.  Radiant Orchid -- a warmish purple color that is closer to mauve than eggplant.  Oh please let it not be as popular as mauve in the 80s, or I am going to hang up my decorating hat for good as I am still traumatized by visions of mica, mauve and grey rooms rattling around in my head.  My aversion to lavender may also be due to the fact that I overdosed on purple in 8th grade when I wore nothing other that this color for a year.  It was the equivalent of eating a box of Twinkies and never touching them again.

Despite my lack of love for radiant orchid, I am helping Meg Braff put together a room with curtains and beds with fabric close in color to Pantone's pick  -- it does look really pretty (as usual the talented Ms. Braff knocks it out of the park) -- but please do not ask me to do more than a sprinkling of any shade of purple outside the boudoir:   An eggplant Spitzmiller lamp, purple throw or even an Quadrille upholstered chair is my absolute max.  That said, here are some images/items that may help you get your purple on:
Purple and blue and yellow room by Alex Papachristidis, Photographer: Tria Giovan. Note the lovely valance on the window.
A little deeper than Radiant Orchid, but they are Christopher Spitzmiller AP Alex lamps

Radiant Orchid Ovo Table Lamp, Lamps Plus $99
Liza Calhoun Pulitzer also a little bluer than the mauvish Radiant Orchid.

Here we go, closer to the Pantone color.   Pick this up here, from Cabana Home $270


Agate Coasters from West Elm $59


Hmm, I think this was one of those HGTV specials make over your room in a day, but I cannot remember who the decorator was... Anyone? One purple lamp Spitzmiller(?) and a throw.

Quadrille, Henriot Floral fabric

Jeffery Bilhuber uses Henriot floral on a chair-- gosh he does everything with aplomb.

HOUSE BEAUTIFUL 2010





China Seas, Raffles Reverse

 Here are some images form Lindsey Coral Harper from the Cathedral Antique Show Inspiration house in Atlanta in 2012. . . Shout out to Julie from Belle Maison for running a story on this room and directing me to Ms. Harper's website.  The paint color as Julie notes, is Mulberry by Benjamin Moore (2075-20), if you want to run out and get it.
Lindsey Coral Harper

Lindsey Coral Harper

Meg Braff, Up a Tree Wallpaper


Savafieh Palmer  Ottoman $250

No comments:

Post a Comment